All was quiet at the Royal Bali Beach Club Hotel, Sanur, Bali, on Thursday two weeks ago. Just four foreign visitors could be seen sunbathing by the pool. Even so, according to the receptionist, all 32 rooms were occupied. "Only Royal Bali members can stay here," said the woman. But that turned out to be a false statement, as even non-Royal Bali members could be squeezed in.
At a hearing of the legislation committee of the House of Representatives (DPR), 'career judges' and 'ad hoc judges' were suddenly cast as foes. A number of justices with the Indonesian Judges' Association (Ikahi) and the Indonesian Judges' Forum (FDHI) proposed abolishing ad hoc judges at the meeting on May 23. "We just heard the proposal for the first time," said Firman Soebagyo, deputy chairman of the committee on Friday last week.
When then Subang Regent Ojang Sohandi heard of a report on the embezzlement of Subang Healthcare and Social Security Agency (BPJS) funds to the West Java Police, he was perplexed. Immediately, he contacted Adj. Sr. Comr. Teddi Kusnandar-an associate at the intelligence department of the police-and asked to meet. This was in early January 2015.
Frans Katihokang was in high spirits following the ruling at Pelawan District Court, Riau, on Thursday two weeks ago. As soon as the judge finished reading out the verdict, the Langgam Inti Hibrindo operations manager could be seen vigorously shaking the hands of his attorney and visitors.
TWO bangs of the gavel were greeted with rapturous applause and calls of 'praise be to God' as dozens of fishermen from North Jakarta cheered the decision handed down by the Jakarta State Administration Court (PTUN) on Tuesday last week. "This is victory for the people and fishermen," said Kuat, one of the plaintiffs in the case.
Dandeni Herdiana's gaze settled upon the paper detailing the list of events in the corruption case involving La Nyalla Mattalitti, chairman of the East Java Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin). Dandeni said he was shocked that the sole judge at the Surabaya State Court, Mangapul Girsang, had again declined to name La Nyalla a suspect.
Independent journalism needs public support. By subscribing to Tempo, you will contribute to our ongoing efforts to produce accurate, in-depth and reliable information. We believe that you and everyone else can make all the right decisions if you receive correct and complete information. For this reason, since its establishment on March 6, 1971, Tempo has been and will always be committed to hard-hitting investigative journalism. For the public and the Republic.